Transmigrated into the Film Emperor's Death-Seeking Fiancé - Chapter 39
- Transmigrated into the Film Emperor's Death-Seeking Fiancé
- Chapter 39 - Mount Haruna’s Road Has Been Unsealed, Jiang Mo Chen: So Fragrant!
This chapter was translated by Daed and edited by Lynn to be hosted on Foxaholic only.
Jiang Mo Chen filmed until ten o’clock at night; Yan Qing Chi also waited until ten o’clock at night. Seeing him (JMC) be so diligent, Director Wang specially moved his scenes on the next day back and told him to have a good rest once he returned to his room. Jiang Mo Chen acknowledged his favor and left with his assistants. Before he left, he took Yan Qing Chi with him.
Everyone else unknowingly watched Yan Qing Chi leave with Jiang Mo Chen. They thought to themselves, This fella was probably really going to take off. He really has the good fortune granted by the Heavens.
Jiang Mo Chen had Yan Qing Chi’s assistant be dropped off at the hotel first. Then Wang Xiang Hai drove him and Yan Qing Chi to another hotel. As his (JMC) assistant, Liu Ai tagged along.
“What’s going on?”
“I’ll tell you when we arrive.”
Seeing that he wasn’t going to explain, Yan Qing Chi didn’t pursue the matter. He went online and began to scroll through Weibo. With this scroll, he was so startled that he nearly dropped his phone. The number one hot search1 was unexpectedly—【Jiang Mo Chen Yan Qing Chi】.
He tapped into the topic, somewhat befuddled. He spent some effort before he finally sorted out the situation. When he and Jiang Mo Chen were in that anti-fan’s apartment, one of the fans who had secretly visited the filming site posted on Weibo a video of Jiang Mo Chen almost getting taken out by a flower pot. Moreover, she @’ed the movie crew and Nan Cheng Entertainment, requesting the movie crew and the company to give a reasonable answer.
Once the video was posted, Jiang Mo Chen’s fans, the Little Houses, exploded. A wave of these fans rushed over to 《Lost》’s official Weibo page and ripped the movie crew apart, questioning the movie crew ⸻What is this? Can’t the props master put more care (in safety checks)? Will the movie crew take responsibility if something happens to him (JMC)? Don’t you know that people can die in this kind of situation?
The other wave went to rip Nan Cheng’s official Weibo apart with their bare hands, asking them ⸻Just what on earth was the company thinking? Did they care at all about their artists’ safety and their lives? Where was the manager? Why didn’t the manager appear at all in the video? Were the assistants ‘dead’? Why were they so slow to react?
The gentle little fairies2—who usually screamed ‘ahhh’ and eagerly supported their idol, expressing that ‘Older Brother has worked hard’ and ‘Older Brother is seriously too perfect’—instantly transformed into cub-protecting fiends. From stating their dissatisfaction with the company and movie staff’s irresponsibility to scolding the company for routinely using Jiang Mo Chen and having him take care of the newcomers, they ended up furiously using the hashtags #nanchengpleasevaluejiangmochen# and #nanchengpleaserespectjiangmochen#.
When Yan Qing Chi saw this, he couldn’t help but wonder if he should laugh or cry. He wondered how the fans would react if they were to learn that Jiang Mo Chen was the secret boss of Nan Cheng himself. He pondered about it and surmised that the fans would most likely use hashtags like #jiangmochenpleasecherishyourreputation#3 or #jiangmochenpleasedontloweryourownprestige#4.
He glanced over at the person by his side and was caught in the act by Jiang Mo Chen. So Yan Qing Chi blatantly looked at him, “Your fans hope that Nan Cheng can value you and respect you.”
Jiang Mo Chen gave a wry smile, “That’s normal.” he continued, “The fans can only see what is on the surface. There are many things that they’re not able to see, so they don’t know. That’s why they can only work hard to fight for their idols’ rights and benefits from their standpoint. Although this method may be somewhat simple and rough, they mean well. Especially this time. I bet they were truly scared.”
Yan Qing Chi continued to scroll down and saw that after the initial fury, a few fans began to inquire about the person in the video who had saved gege (JMC). This question spread like wildfire. Then someone flipped to 《Lost》’s official Weibo page and found Yan Qing Chi5.
Although Guan Mei and his personal assistant He Fei knew the username and password to Yan Qing Chi’s Weibo account, he had always been the one managing it. The contents were very simple; it consisted of some scenery pictures and daily records. The most recent post before the next page was the one that he had composed that night in Jiang Mo Chen’s room: The moon tonight is a little round. It was accompanied with a picture of the moon.
Soon, this Weibo post was occupied by Jiang Mo Chen’s fans. His (JMC) fans mimicked that sentence of his (YQC) and wrote:
⸻The xiao gege today is a little handsome. Thank you xiao gege for your dashing move today.
⸻Thank you xiao gege for knock Jiang Mo Chen out of the way at the critical moment. I gesture a heart for you.
⸻Wahhh, xiao gege is too cool. If it weren’t for xiao gege being on set today, our family’s gege would have suffered an injury. Trash company that doesn’t do humane things! #didnanchengbecomehumanetoday?nope!#6
Yan Qing Chi recalled that when he had posted the Weibo post two days ago, the comments were still in the tens. Now, there were already several thousand comments.
On the other hand, the reposts and comments on that video of him tackling Jiang Mo Chen out of the way had easily broken through the hundred-thousands long ago. Although the original poster was later privately messaged to delete the video, this didn’t prevent Yan Qing Chi from being heavily mentioned in the comments and during the reposts.
Right on the heels, the climax of the whole affair happened. Jiang Mo Chen personally posted a Weibo post thanking him and Yan Qing Chi bashfully replied. The two of them mutually followed each other (on Weibo). This immediately made the phrase【Jiang Mo Chen Yan Qing Chi】 appear on the hot search list, and it swiftly climbed up to first place.
Yan Qing Chi looked at his phone on which the post in question was shown7.
Jiang Mo Chen🅥: Mishaps are always unavoidable. Fortunately, there was a talented individual hidden among our cast8. Thank you to today’s dashing little hero @Yan Qing Chi. I’m alright. Thank you everyone for your concern.
The accompanying picture was of a time when they were chatting on set. It was taken very well. Both of them were captured in very high definition. He was looking at Jiang Mo Chen with a faint smile and a gentle gaze.
And then, he saw Yan Qing Chi🅥 at the first line of the popular comments.
Yan Qing Chi🅥: No need, no need. It was just reflexes. Many thanks to Chen-ge’s care in the film crew. I’ve learned a lot. I will continue to work hard from today on [shy].
Yan Qing Chi looked at Jiang Mo Chen, “I don’t remember posting on Weibo.”
“Guan Mei probably arranged for it. My Weibo post is also due to my manager directly arranging for the assistant to do it.”
Yan Qing Chi was kind of perplexed.
Seeing him so, Jiang Mo Chen patiently explained, “This video was unexpected. We hadn’t expected it to be disclosed to the public. Since someone posted it, then we might as well maximize our profits. That’s why they took advantage of the situation and helped you promote yourself. Moreover, with this matter, this video, it will all be within reason for me to help you in the future. Do you understand?”
Yan Qing Chi nodded, “So the hot search?”
“It was bought. However, as more people searched it, it became a genuine hot search.”
Yan Qing Chi leaned backwards with his head inclined, “You all truly live such exhausting lives.”
“Which living person isn’t tired?” Jiang Mo Chen looked at him, “You’re tired with just this?”
Yan Qing Chi sighed.
Jiang Mo Chen also leaned against the railing, bumping shoulders with him, “Don’t worry, you don’t need to concern yourself about it. All you need to do is to focus on your acting. You don’t need to think about the rest.”
“Oh, then I truly have to thank you.”
“You’re wel—” Jiang Mo Chen halted mid-sentence when he suddenly noticed, “What did you just say?”
“I said, ‘then I truly have to th—” Yan Qing Chi was just about to say ‘thank’ when he finally realized and immediately retracted it, “I said ‘this is what you’re supposed to do’!”
Jiang Mo Chen snorted.
Yan Qing Chi asked him, “What should you say right now?9”
Jiang Mo Chen didn’t answer.
“It hasn’t been past midnight. You’ve got to abide by the game rules, alright, Mr. Jiang?”
Jiang Mo Chen was speechless, “Yes, yes, yes, you’re right, you’re right, you’re right.”
“And the other half of that sentence?”
Jiang Mo Chen glanced at Xiao Liu and Xiao Wang, who were trying to weaken their presence. He leaned in close to Yan Qing Chi’s ear and said in a low voice, “My dear, you are absolutely correct.”
Yan Qing Chi was pleased, “That’s more like it.”
“Oh, you just wait. You better remember at every waking moment in this lifetime not to say ‘thank you’ to me.” Jiang Mo Chen warned, unable to see the other man being so smug and conceited about it10.
Yan Qing Chi was not afraid of him, “Sure. The two of us will agree to disagree here. Let’s wait and see.11”
Xiao Wang finally stopped the car at the hotel. They entered in a single file12.
Jiang Mo Chen walked through the VIP hallway and headed straight into an elevator. Yan Qing Chi was quite surprised, “Are you not going to go get the room key?”
Jiang Mo Chen rifled through his wallet and pulled out a card, waving it.
“What is this?”
“It’s my family’s hotel. I have a private suite.”
Yan Qing Chi mused, “In every city?”
Jiang Mo Chen handed over the gold card he was holding, “Here. I’ll give it to you.”
“Do I need to return it?”
“You can only use it to get a room with me anyway, so you don’t need to.”
“How do you know that I won’t use it to get a room with someone else?” Yan Qing Chi taunted.
Jiang Mo Chen smiled, “Use my card in my family’s hotel to get a room with someone else? Young man, do you want to play with fire13?”
Yan Qing Chi was amused by his last few words. “No,” he declined.
With a “Ding!”, the elevator doors opened.
Yan Qing Chi exited the elevator. There was a room right in front of him. He swiped the card, opened the door, and turned on the lights while he was at it. The room was extremely spacious; its luxurious nature seeped through its low-profile.
Jiang Mo Chen closed the door when he entered and asked, “How is it?”
And then, Jiang Mo Chen pulled his (YQC) arm towards him14, turning the other man around to face him. He inquired, “Then do you want to ‘play with fire’?”
Yan Qing Chi leaned against the wall, shaking his head slightly, “Nope.”
“You’re not going to consider it for a moment?”
“The road’s been sealed, Mr. Jiang. The road to Mount Haruna has long been sealed. Why do you keep forgetting this? Although you’re not old yet, your memory’s going it seems.”
“It’s been so long. It should be time to unseal the road.”
Yan Qing Chi shook his head, “Mr. Jiang, a grownup should take responsibility for their words. What happened to ‘my body not striking your fancy’15? Now you, the driver, cannot get on me, the luxury car.”
“Luxury car?” Jiang Mo Chen couldn’t resist laughing, “Even at a time like this, you don’t forget to praise yourself?”
“I’m simply stating the facts. Whether I’m a luxury car or not, other people don’t know, but could you not know?”
Jiang Mo Chen was speechless. He momentarily recalled the times when he ‘drove’. Truth be told, he (YQC as a ‘car’) certainly was extremely to one’s satisfaction.
“We’re really not going to ‘start the car’?”
“You won’t change your mind?”
Yan Qing Chi pondered about it, “Not unless I’m the ‘driver’ today.”
“Young man, you’re not ‘playing with fire’; you’re inviting the ‘fire’ to burn you.”
“That’s dependent on whether you–the fire–are able to burn or not.”
And then, Yan Qing Chi was hoisted up by Jiang Mo Chen and thrown onto the bed.
Most likely because it had been too long since he had been ‘on the road’, this time, Jiang Mo Chen used the ‘car’ for an unusually long time. Yan Qing Chi made fun of him, “‘I, Jiang Mo Chen, will not get on you, the luxury car, whether I die, jump from here, have a platonic relationship, not go ‘on the road’, or even be approaching death.’ ——So fragrant!16”
“Give it a rest. Platonic relationships also need love. Do we have that?”
“Even if we don’t, that doesn’t prevent you from getting ‘on the road’. If we did, I would probably ‘die’ on this ‘mountain road’.”
Jiang Mo Chen smiled and patted his face, “Don’t worry. With how energetic you are, jumping about, you won’t die so easily on the mountain road.”
“Don’t worry,” Yan Qing Chi replied cheerily, “If I were to die, I’ll pull you along with me.”
“Since you and I still have so much spirit17, how about we go for another round?”
After that, it was yet another very long round.
Yan Qing Chi waited until the other man came down from the mountain and exited the car door. Without saying a word, he lifted the blanket, “I’m off to take a shower. The road to the mountain will now be sealed. You watch yourself.”
Jiang Mo Chen also lifted the blanket, “I’ll go with you.”
“No need,” Yan Qing Chi gave him the side-eye, “Who knows if you’ll start another round in the shower. You already lost any trust I had in you, got it?”
“That bad?” Jiang Mo Chen had his final struggle18.
Yan Qing Chi laughed coldly, “What should you say right now?”
Jiang Mo Chen checked his watch, “It’s already past midnight.”
“So?” Yan Qing Chi glared at him.
Jiang Mo Chen had no other choice but to comply, saying, “Yes, yes, yes, you’re right, you’re right, you’re right, my dear you are absolutely right.”
“That’s more like it.”
Chapters: 2/7. Thank you for the kofi! While I’m at it, let me plug a short story I’m translating called It’s So Hard to be a Tree. It’s got a cute tree spirit shou MC.
Thank you for reading my translation! If you like it, please consider supporting me by turning off your adblock or by supporting me through kofi!
- “热搜” is literally “hot search”. It’s the same as the “trending searches/topics”. So they were the top trending search.
- Okay, I translated it as “fairies” for lack of a better word. It’s actually “温柔小仙女” which is more like gentle little/young celestial maidens. But I tried to find an official English equivalent, and got “fairy”.
- In the original source, it was written as “#请江默宸爱惜羽毛#”. This is different from how I translated, because I didn’t translate it literally. “爱惜羽毛” (àixīyǔmáo) means “cherish your feathers/plumage”. It’s a figurative phrase meaning that one cherishes their reputation. Here’s a Baidu link and a Facebook post explaining this.
- In the source, it was “#请江默宸不要自降逼格#”. Let’s break this down in parts. “自降” (zìjiàng) means to “lower yourself” or to behave in an unfitting/undignified manner. Basically, you are stooping down below your level or status. “逼格” (bīgé) is something akin to one’s prestige or higher status. It’s been described as “posh”. It’s also slang (B格) for being pretentious. In this case though, it’s not used that way.
- I translated it like this instead of literally like the original: 然后就有人翻到了《迷途》的官微，扒出了燕清池. Literally, it would be “And then someone flipped to 《Lost》’s official Weibo page and dug Yan Qing Chi up.”
- I changed the format a bit to try to translate the Chinese hashtags in the way that it would be in English. I know there are some hashtags with space in them, but I’m not sure if all do…? I usually see hashtags without spaces between words. The original was like this: #南橙今天做人了吗？没有！#. So literally, it would be something along the lines of: “#Did Nan Cheng/South Orange become human today? No! #”. The fan is essentially questioning the ethics and conscience of the company.
- To be transparent with you, the original had it like this: 燕清池看着手机上显示的，江默宸v:意外总是不可避免，万幸剧组里卧虎藏龙，感谢今天帅气的小英雄@燕清池，我没有事，谢谢大家关心。配图是他们俩有一天在剧组说话时的图，照片拍的很好，两个人都拍的很清晰，他看着江默宸，微微笑着，色温柔. I split the sentences up in sections and formatted them. I also rephrased the first sentence to be consistent with the rearrangements I made.
- Here, have the English definition that MDBG dictionary gives because I’m too lazy to explain in my own words: lit. hidden dragon, crouching tiger (idiom) / fig. talented individuals in hiding / concealed talent.
- If you’ve forgotten, check out Chapter 35 Part 3.
- 江默宸看不惯他小人得志的样子，放话道。From MDBG: ”看不惯” (kànbuguàn) – cannot bear to see / to hate / to dislike / to disapprove. ”小人得志” (xiǎoréndézhì) lit. a vile character flourishes (idiom) / fig. an inferior person gets into a position of power, becoming conceited and arrogant.
- In the source, it was said as so: “好啊，我们俩骑驴看账，走着瞧。” From this, “骑驴看账，走着瞧” (qíǘkànzhàng,zǒuzheqiáo) means to not come to a conclusion yet and to wait for the results. Another meaning apparently is to brush off the matter now and slowly get revenge later. Here are some links if you want to look at them: link 1 (Chinese) and link 2 (with English).
- The original was “几人鱼贯入内”.I didn’t even notice this until now but it seems that “鱼贯” (yúguàn) means “one after another” or “single file”. Here’s a Baidu link for it.
- The saying “playing with fire” (玩火) is derived from earlier domineering president novels, in which the domineering president male leads will say when facing some of the behaviors and words of the girls they like: Woman, you are playing with fire! Meaning: You are arousing my desire. Or you are walking on the edge of danger, because playing with fire is really dangerous. (Pretty much MTL from this source because it explained it pretty well in my opinion.)
- Original source said “pulled him from behind” (然后，江默宸从身后拉了他一把，将人带转过身，面朝自己，问他，“那玩火吗？”). I modified it to make it clearer for some readers.
- Reference to Chapter 35 Part 2.
- This is an internet slang(?). Basically, it’s what happens when you first scorn/turn your nose up at something or someone only to later find it or them so appealing. It’s different than faceslapping in that the individual regrets the past while enjoying the present (most of the time). What YQC says seems to be a reference to the original event from which the popular saying was derived from. More information on that on this Baidu page and this page.
- “既然你我都还这么有精，不如再来一轮吧。”The character here was 精 which is I think is used for semen as well as spirit/sprite. It looks similar to 情 from 感情 (feelings). I think this is a pun.
- ”垂死挣扎 (chuísǐzhēngzhá) – deathbed struggle / final struggle (idiom)” according to MDBG. It’s just the last struggle when you are approaching death. This is basically JMC’s last try.